Photography: Jack Codling
I have waited for the moment to interview Kate Nash for quite some time now, I remember asking her at September Fashion Week in 2012 if I could interview her and its only just happened (but I am so happy it did!)
Kate was an absolute dream to speak to, such a wonderfully polite and charming lady. It was honestly like talking to an old friend.
Kate, Myself and her PR were laughing quite a bit throughout the interview and Kate’s PR even yelled “You need a picture with this guy! He’s wearing a fucking kilt?!”
It was an absolute pleasure and privilege, though our time was short, I hope to meet up with Kate again, preferably a more social environment where we can have a cheeky drink and a gossip.
- HJB: What was you’re first interest in fashion?
- KN: Oh my god, like ever in the world?!
- HJB: Yeah what branched you out into what you do now?
- KN: My tutu from my ballet class when I was 7 [laughs], no i’m just kidding, I think basically when I was 16, it was the first time i’ve ever bought a dress that I put on and it made me feel good about myself. I feel that when I was growing up, I wanted to change my body to fit clothes and I always hated myself. Then this one vintage dress I bought made me go “oh wow! This actually flatters me?!” and that was a really important revelation. If you don’t figure that out; A, you don’t dress very well and B you’re not very happy in what you’re wearing. So that was the first time I remember thinking “Oh, this is how i’m supposed to feel?”
- HJB: From the start of your music career when Made Of Bricks came out up to now, how would you say your personal style has changed?
- KN: When my first record came out I was super girly and I loved being sort of cute and then with my second record, I felt insecure that people didn’t take me seriously enough because I was girly, so I felt like I had to wear a leather jacket all the time and be super tough. With my third album, I feel like i’ve got a good mix of the two. Sometimes, if I wanna look like a doll, I don’t mind and then other times I wanna look a bit harder and thats fine as well. I’m a lot more comfortable with myself now and being a bit older, you care less about that and now i’ve been educated more about designers and before that, I found Fashion Week to be really intimidating to me and I didn’t feel like it was somewhere I belonged and now it’s something I actually enjoy. There’s designers I really like and i’ve learnt a lot about the creative side of it.
- HJB: If you could be the face of any brand [gasp from Kate], who would it be and why?
- KN: [Without any hesitation] Chanel!
- HJB: For what reason?
- KN: Because it’s Chanel!
- HJB: This will probably be the same answer, but if you could only wear one designer for the rest of your life, who would it be and why?
- KN: Oh Harry, that’s a difficult one! Oh I don’t know do I? Erm… Shit! I don’t feel like I could answer that, I don’t even think i’m qualified to?! [laughs] Maybe I should just go with Chanel again, because, well, it’s Chanel like I said before.
- HJB: If you could describe you’re personal style in three words, what would those words be?
- KN: Childish, Granny and Moody because I am very mood-dependant.
Meeting Kate truly brought and end to such an amazing first day.
Kate, if you’re reading this, lets go shopping then head to a bar !