This was a rather fun post to have found whilst having an online browse for some new clobber. Turns out i’m somewhat of a “Trendy Wendy” this season and I must say I have been quite shocked on the impact this simple little orange checkered suit has had on the fashion press. Maybe it’s the bold colours in a rather depressing January filled with Tube Strikes and the ever-looming threat of Donal Trump… Who knows? Either way, its fun to be on the sunny side of life.
If you want to have a browse of Topman’s suggested trends to shop, have a click on the link here to get some grand ideas for your wardrobe: http://www.topman.com/en/tmuk/category/london-street-style-the-capitals-6-biggest-trends-6243896/home
This photograph was taken by Charlotte Victoria Lake when we attended the Vivienne Westwood Red Label show at the Saatchi Gallery.
A beautifully modern collection filled with colour and style that we were both ecstatic to be able to attend.
Photography: Jack Codling
I have waited for the moment to interview Kate Nash for quite some time now, I remember asking her at September Fashion Week in 2012 if I could interview her and its only just happened (but I am so happy it did!)
Kate was an absolute dream to speak to, such a wonderfully polite and charming lady. It was honestly like talking to an old friend.
Kate, Myself and her PR were laughing quite a bit throughout the interview and Kate’s PR even yelled “You need a picture with this guy! He’s wearing a fucking kilt?!”
It was an absolute pleasure and privilege, though our time was short, I hope to meet up with Kate again, preferably a more social environment where we can have a cheeky drink and a gossip.
- HJB: What was you’re first interest in fashion?
- KN: Oh my god, like ever in the world?!
- HJB: Yeah what branched you out into what you do now?
- KN: My tutu from my ballet class when I was 7 [laughs], no i’m just kidding, I think basically when I was 16, it was the first time i’ve ever bought a dress that I put on and it made me feel good about myself. I feel that when I was growing up, I wanted to change my body to fit clothes and I always hated myself. Then this one vintage dress I bought made me go “oh wow! This actually flatters me?!” and that was a really important revelation. If you don’t figure that out; A, you don’t dress very well and B you’re not very happy in what you’re wearing. So that was the first time I remember thinking “Oh, this is how i’m supposed to feel?”
- HJB: From the start of your music career when Made Of Bricks came out up to now, how would you say your personal style has changed?
- KN: When my first record came out I was super girly and I loved being sort of cute and then with my second record, I felt insecure that people didn’t take me seriously enough because I was girly, so I felt like I had to wear a leather jacket all the time and be super tough. With my third album, I feel like i’ve got a good mix of the two. Sometimes, if I wanna look like a doll, I don’t mind and then other times I wanna look a bit harder and thats fine as well. I’m a lot more comfortable with myself now and being a bit older, you care less about that and now i’ve been educated more about designers and before that, I found Fashion Week to be really intimidating to me and I didn’t feel like it was somewhere I belonged and now it’s something I actually enjoy. There’s designers I really like and i’ve learnt a lot about the creative side of it.
- HJB: If you could be the face of any brand [gasp from Kate], who would it be and why?
- KN: [Without any hesitation] Chanel!
- HJB: For what reason?
- KN: Because it’s Chanel!
- HJB: This will probably be the same answer, but if you could only wear one designer for the rest of your life, who would it be and why?
- KN: Oh Harry, that’s a difficult one! Oh I don’t know do I? Erm… Shit! I don’t feel like I could answer that, I don’t even think i’m qualified to?! [laughs] Maybe I should just go with Chanel again, because, well, it’s Chanel like I said before.
- HJB: If you could describe you’re personal style in three words, what would those words be?
- KN: Childish, Granny and Moody because I am very mood-dependant.
Meeting Kate truly brought and end to such an amazing first day.
Kate, if you’re reading this, lets go shopping then head to a bar !
Finally back home after a ridiculously busy time at the London Fashion Week A/W13 collections.
As hectic as it was, I had quite a nice time just meandering around this year and actually getting chance to check out the exhibition rooms and designer showcases rather than running from one show to another hoping to get in.
This year was the first year where I also was credited for my own blog rather than working for a team (or just hoping to sneak in places) so it made quite a nice change.
A quick brief on highlights, I was at the Vivienne Westwood show, I interviewed Kate Nash (which I have been waiting to do for a while now), I met Zandra Rhodes (briefly) and I went to a few after parties.
All in all this season was a success.
Make sure you keep up to date with my blog as images from shows, people i’ve met, things i’ve been up to and everything in between shall be getting added fairly soon.
Thanks for following guys (you all helped me get this pass)